Principal Research Manager, Microsoft Research
After thirteen amazing years at Microsoft Research, I have joined Megvii (in July, 2016) as Chief Scientist.
Jian was born in Xian, China, which is home of The Terracotta Army. He received a B.S., M.S., and a Ph.D. degree from Xian Jiaotong University in 1997, 2000 and 2003, respectively. Immediately following, he joined Microsoft Research Asia, and has been working in the fields of computer vision and computer graphics, with particular interests in solving fundamental research probelms and building real-world working systems. His primary research interests are computational photography, face recognition, and deep learning based image understanding.
Email: sunjian AT megvii.com
Openning: I am looking for self-motivated person (full-time or intern) for doing world-class research and/or buidling industry-leading products.
- CVPR 2016 Best Paper Award, the recognition of an elite team (Kaiming, Xiangyu, Shaoqing) I led at Microsoft Research.
- Five 1st places in ImageNet and MS COCO competitions 2015, by 152-layer neural networks (ResNets) . (technical paper and press stories 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...).
- Microsoft's CaptionBot, empowered by our ResNets.
- Windows Hello (fun video), shipped on all Surface Pro 4/Surface Book.
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2016
- ImageNet Large Scale Visual Recognition Challenge 2015 Competition Winner Award, 2015
- MIT Technology Review Young Innovator under 35 (MIT TR35), 2010
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2009
- Microsoft Fellowship, 2001
- 1st Place in the Graduate Student Examination, Xian Jiaotong University, 1997
- Area chair: ICCV 2011, CVPR 2012, CVPR 2015, CVPR 2016
- Program committee: Siggraph 2010